Monday, June 10, 2013

Good news!!!


What an afternoon that was! I swear, it was like de ja vu. I had the tests as mentioned in my previous post. When the sonologist, while doing my Trans-V ultrasound, changed expressions, my heart raced! She found a growth, I saw it on the monitor.
Me : Ano yan? 
Sonologist : (silence)
You think I stopped there? 
Me : Miss, is that a cyst? 
Sonologist (finally heard me) : Yes, Ma’am pero okay lang yan. 
I didn’t know what to think. I panicked a little bit more when she stepped out of the room to talk to the doctor outside. 
Call me paranoid and nerbiyosa. I’ll be first to admit that I am. Plus yon na nga, when you’ve been told previously that you have cancer, going through tests like this will really make you feel anxious. I’m surprised I was still able to eat a hearty lunch prior to the ultrasound.
I had to bring my ultrasound and blood chem plus hematology results to my Onco at 3pm. On the sheet of paper, I read somewhere that they found a small myoma. A myoma is really common and it’s not necessarily cancer. Still. I was worried! I hate it when I feel that way. I hated it even more when the nurse at the clinic told me I was #10! Sometimes I don’t like the fact that my Oncologist is popular. It was going to be a long wait … an agonizing one.
Thanks talaga to technology, I was able to distract myself while waiting in the reception area. I managed to play a few Candy Crush rounds, too. About an hour later, I was finally ushered into her clinic. We said our hi’s and hello’s and I handed over the results to her.
Me : Doctora, they found something in the ultrasound. 
Doc : Really? Goes over the results
I wanted to faint. I felt my heartbeat and it was going so fast. Prayed, prayed, prayed. 
Doc : It’s a myoma but it’s nothing. 
Me : Nothing? You mean we don’t need to do anything? Don’t we need to take it out? 
Doc : No, it’s so tiny! 
You know what this feels like, right? The term “nabunutan ng tinik” can certainly describe what I felt at that precise moment!
I thought of N, the kids, my Mom, my brother, even my Dad and I wanted to cry right there.
Oh and before I forget! I AM IN REMISSION. I heard it straight from the horse’s mouth. Remission in the case of a cancer patient is when there are no signs nor symptoms of cancer in the body. ZERO. NADA. ZILCH. WALA!!!
All I could think about as I left the hospital earlier was … WOW I’M IN REMISSION. WOW.
I have an amazing God. That’s all I can say.
P.S. Lord, since you are so amazing … please help me lose the 7 lbs I gained since March. Thank you! Amen

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patty. Been following your two blogs for a couple of months now. I've been wanting to connect with you for some time now but I always wimped out at the last second. So...here is my nth try.

    I just wanted to let you know that reading about your journey gets me teary eyed. Whenever I hear about your triumphs and also how you are now able to go about your life with your family tugs at my heart.

    You see, my mom passed away from breast cancer two years ago. We found out about the cancer in 2009 and she fought like crazy but she passed away in 2011, just two months after my daughter, her first grand child was born.

    The thing is, my mom was also treated at the same hospital as you. She even went to the same breast surgeon as yours! I also visit your doctor yearly as I have been told that I'm now considered high risk for breast cancer.

    Anyway, this is getting too long for a comment but I just wanted to say hi and let you know that your journey means so much to me.

    Hugs and love to you and your family.

    Hana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hanna, and thanks for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom's passing. It's never easy to lose a parent, no matter the circumstance. I should know! Remember that it's not all genetic now. Anybody can get breast cancer, even those who don't have a single trace of breast cancer in their family. It's all about our lifestyle. If you're anxious because your Mom had it, try not to worry about it too much. Life is too precious to waste over things we have no control of! I hope that didn't sound preachy. And I hope to hear from you again - here or in Non Stop Babble. Take care! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete