Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Good News : Nails are recovering



Other cancer patients/survivors will have stories to tell about how treatments have caused many physical changes to their bodies. Other than losing all my hair, the other thing I've had to deal with is nail discoloration --- both on my fingers and toes. This didn't happen to all my nails, though. Just the ones on the thumbs, big toes and a little on the forefingers and the 2nd toes (is that what call them?). 

It's a good thing I'm so used to wearing nail polish, I can't live without color on my nails. I'm exaggerating of course but you know what I mean. 

Now that I think about it, I should've taken photos of my nails too, to show the kind of damage chemotherapy caused and how much better they look today. I didn't have it bad unlike others who actually saw their nails fall off. Mine were discolored, grayish on the part of the nail bed closest to the skin. That's it. Truly lucky to have had this and nothing worse. 

Today, my friendly nail tech, the same one who's been working on me for years now told me, my nails are actually growing anew. YAHOO!!! 

But because the discoloration is still slightly obvious, I can't choose to wear light shades of nail polish just yet. Not a biggie. Red has always been my default color. 

This is Essie A-List, one of my favorite red shades


Absolutely no trace of the discoloration. It's enough that people stare at me in my head scarf. I don't need to give them more reason to look and wonder. (Sometimes I get really tempted to stare back, depending on my mood haha)

Going back ... this is one of the things I've been thinking about : do I now totally switch to organic nail polish? I have no doubt that I need to do that with hair color. But nail polish ... is it a must? There aren't too many options out there. I think I'm gonna give it more thought, backed up by research. 

Hope you're all having a productive week so far. Be safe.
God bless us all!



No comments:

Post a Comment