Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Not Just Yet...



Apparently, I celebrated too soon. My tummy, almost 3 months after surgery, is not really in its final shape or size yet. In fact, there's a bit of new swelling going on, and it's on one side only, making the area look strange and sometimes difficult to stare at. I saw my PS (Plastic Surgeon) Yen Asedillo last Thursday and she confirmed that the reason for the swelling is that the area is weak. I can't remember all the other terms she used but that's the bottom-line, the abdominal walls are weak and are still healing. Why only on one side? It happens, based on something I read last night (yes, sometimes I still can't help but Google, so sue me). 

There's a really quick-fix for this according to the story and also to Yen. I can undergo a procedure which will require regional anaesthesia, where a mesh will be put in place. But according to Yen, it's a CHOICE I can make, not a requirement. It's kind of a relief to know this because another surgical procedure is the last thing I want at this time. NO. I just had to put my foot down and I told her, I won't have it because I'm still so traumatized from all the surgeries and the on-going poking with needles. I can't think of anything else other than chemo (and going through it til March) right now and I want to focus on that. 

So in the meantime, what do I do about the bulge? Btw, it's not hernia, which is another possibility and which REQUIRES the surgical repair no doubt. I need to be patient about it, that's what. Yen reminded me for the Nth time to keep wearing my girdles, no matter how uncomfortable they feel. 

Fine. Atleast it's not a major medical issue that I need to be extremely worried about and not a rare case either. Meantime, back to focusing on my treatments and yes, back to wearing dresses more! 

It's Tuesday, how's your week going so far? Exam week for us! 




No comments:

Post a Comment