Monday, February 4, 2013

Barley : Good for Cancer?



I get all sorts of information on what to eat, drink, medicines or supplements to consider. This has been going on since the day I decided to go public with my breast cancer diagnosis. But no matter what anyone suggests, the bottom line is really this : to live a healthy lifestyle.

One of the things that's been suggested to me is BARLEY. Whether it's in the form of capsules, a powdered drink or what have you. People are saying that Barley is good for cancer patients. There are articles that will tell you it helps prevent cancer but I don't think anyone can truly say that something, when taken on a regular basis, will stop cancer from attacking your body. It probably offers some kind of protection, but not a guarantee.

Once you're diagnosed with a disease like this, you're recommmended to increase your intake of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Barley appears in this list. 

Plant FamilyExamples
GrainsWheat, rye, oats, rice, corn, bulgur, barley
Green leafy vegetablesLettuce, spinach, swiss chard, endives, beet greens, romaine
Cruciferous vegetablesBroccoli, cabbage, turnip, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kohlrabi, bok choy, watercress, collards, kale, mustard greens, rutabaga
Umbelliferous vegetablesCelery, parsley, fennel, carrots, parsnip
Allium vegetablesGarlic, onion, shallots, chives, leek
LegumesSoybeans, peas, chickpeas, lima beans, peanut, carob, dried beans (kidney, mung, pinto, black-eyed), lentils
Solanaceous vegetablesNightshade family: eggplant, tomatoes
Cucurbitaceous vegetablesGourd family: pumpkin, squash, cucumber, muskmelon, watermelon


Source : www.hopkinsmedicine.org

I guess it should then be a consideration when it's time to sit down with my Onco to discuss what kind of supplements I can take when chemo is done. This is going to be part of my long-term nutrition plan. Still reading up on other stuff I should be including in the long list of things I should be eating on a regular basis.

Moving forward!


No comments:

Post a Comment