Tuesday, February 5, 2013

That Metallic Taste



It used to be just a story I would hear from cancer or former cancer patients. I could never understand nor relate to it because it sounded so strange to me. Food tasting like metal? Odd, to say the least. Now I know exactly what these people were talking about. I still can't describe it properly. But yes, metal is the closest thing that comes to mind. 

Luckily for me, this part is just a phase and it disappears when the good days post-chemo start rolling in. The longest it has stayed is about a week. Then my taste buds return to normal and everything tastes good again. Also, this hasn't stopped me from eating --- thank God. 

I just tend to ask for certain things to help address this inconvenience while it's happening. Here are some of the stuff I would normally buy or ask N to get for me when things become frustrating:



Ice Cream - even a cheap sundae cone from McDonald's or Jollibee will do the trick


Gulaman and Sago - why this? Because it's got crushed ice! I usually send the driver to the nearest Goldilock's branch to grab me a couple of orders. Really takes your mind off the metallic issue.


Magnolia's Popsies (or the Twin Popsies I grew up loving) - it's flavored ice, that's why. Feels so good on the tongue, no kidding.

I've also tried eating with chopsticks instead of the usual spoon and fork, so as not to amplify issue. Kinda works, too. But AGAIN, no two people are the same. While most cancer/chemo patients will tell you that they experience this, the effects on each person are different. In my case, I don't completely lose my appetite. I just ride it out until the issue disappears. For some, it could be a serious concern because you can't afford not to eat during treatments. 

Photos grabbed from Google Images

No comments:

Post a Comment