Thursday, January 24, 2013

Watch this movie : FIVE


"The groundbreaking original movie FIVE is an anthology of five short films exploring the impact of breast cancer on people's lives. FIVE highlights the shared experience each short film's title character endures from the moment of diagnosis, through an interconnected story arc that uses humor and drama to focus on the effect breast cancer and its different stages of diagnosis have on relationships and the way women perceive themselves while searching for strength, comfort, medical breakthroughs and, ultimately, a cure."

A good friend told me to catch this on HBO one afternoon. Unfortunately, I was out of the house. I asked N to please look for it for me and he did, of course. I sat in bed and cried over some familiar scenes. I would recommend this movie to anyone who's been diagnosed, whether still fighting the battle  or have crossed the finish line. Caregivers, husbands, mothers, sisters, children of breast cancer patients will appreciate watching this, too.

Each of the five short films was directed by Demi Moore, Penelope Spheeris, Alicia Keys, Jennifer Aniston and Patty Jenkins.


The Cast 


Ginnifer Goodwin stars in the first film as Charlotte, a young mother dying of breast cancer. This film is set in 1959, the year that man first landed on the moon.


Patricia Clarkson plays Mia, diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer but survives to tell her story AND marry a second time. I think this is my favorite among the five. 


Rosario Dawson is Lili, a very independent and headstrong career woman who thinks she doesn't need family to get her through her journey.


Lindsy Fonseca is Cheyanne, who has to go through a really aggressive double breast removal after being diagnosed with breast cancer. She is a newly-wed and a dancer by profession. 


Jeanne Tripplehorn plays Pearl, a successful Oncologist who herself is later on diagnosed with breast cancer. 

While none of the characters in the movie had the exact same circumstances as myself, watching this really hit home ... in fact, several times. I'm inclined to watch it again when I find myself alone at home next time. If you've seen it or intend to see it, let me know what you think. 

All photos taken from Google images 

2 comments: