Friday, February 22, 2013

I'm a Chemo Graduate!


Yesterday was much-anticipated. I had my 6th and last chemo cycle. 

Unlike the previous times, I didn't feel too anxious about going. There was still a bit of anxiety (because  it is so normal to feel this way even after several cycles) but it was too tiny to matter. The predominant feeling was excitement. I just wanted to get it over with! 

Here we were in the car, on the way to The Medical City


Can I just say that my N deserves an award for perfect attendance? He has never missed the chance to accompany me to a chemo session and for that, I'm really really grateful. 

The cycle went without major hitches. My main concern was my veins. I prayed that there wouldn't be a problem, given that this was already my 6th and some patients I know had vein issues way before this time. I prayed so hard that my Onco wouldn't have to resort to any drastic measures just to push through with the infusion. She said the vein had gone into hiding already BUT there was another one that looked good ... alleluia! She used that vein instead, but wait ... the insertion was 2x as painful. I cringed a bit, and I never cringed before --- ever! She explained that it was a virgin vein that's why it hurt a little bit more than usual. After that, it was all good. I went to sleep (thanks to the Benadryl) and stayed groggy for a good 1/2 hrs. I soon recovered and the grogginess went away. I was wide awake. 

Soon after, we received an unexpected visitor. My SIL's friend who's also based in Vietnam but is here to take care of his Mom who has stage 4 Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma and has been confined at The Medical City since November of last year. He kept us both occupied until my pump sounded off the end of the session! Thanks, Richie ... big help keeping my mind off my Frienemy! Your Mom will be in our prayers from now on. Fight! 


When the needle was taken out and I had done my thing in the restroom for the Nth time (yes, chemo makes you pee a lot), it was time to say goodbye to the Chemo Unit nurses who have taken care of me each time I was there these past months since October 2012. They've always been so helpful and cheerful. I can't imagine how hard it must be for them to be exposed to Cancer patients on a daily basis, children included. Modesty aside, I don't look sick except for the absence of hair on my head. But others are not as fortunate. If I were assigned to this unit, I'd probably go home depressed every single day. So props to these men and women for their dedication!


My smile looks so tentative here, not the kind I usually have. That's 'cause I was holding back my tears.

The nurses are Jansen Lim, Marlone Resurreccion, Czarina Plata and Cecilia Sandoval. Not in photo is Cassey Pugao, whom I didn't get to thank and say goodbye to because she was in a seminar on another floor. And as expected, they only had one thing to say ... that they didn't want to see me inside the Chemo Unit ever again. Elsewhere in the hospital is okay. Just not the Chemo Unit. So sweet!

Yes, that's a Certificate I'm holding in the photo. It was a sweet surprise. Very encouraging!



There were 2 other graduates yesterday, older than me. I didn't see them but the nurses told me they were there for 1 and 2 years for their treatments. Big survivors! What's my 4 months compared to their 12 and 24 months??? 

It's already the day after and I still can't believe it's all over. At one point I even thought of just throwing in the towel. I'm so glad that God heard my prayers and replenished my strength! 

So there you go ... the big, happy news for the week. Something to hopefully inspire those of you who are still in the middle of treatments. It WILL pass. Before you know it, you'll be pinching yourself like I have. Just hang in there and keep praying for sustenance! God can hear you! 

Have a really awesome weekend, everyone! I know I will! 

No comments:

Post a Comment