Monday, November 5, 2012

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow


It's sooooo strange.

Today, I started thinking about hair fall because it will be 2 weeks since my first chemo session tomorrow. My Onco told me that my hair should start falling at around this time. In fact, I texted her again today just to make sure I got the timing right. She confirmed it. 

So around after lunch, I began to seriously think of getting rid of my hair. I didn't want to have to see huge clumps of hair falling. I also wanted to spare N and my kids from the sadness of seeing me go through something so drastic.

Late in the afternoon, I took a shower. I don't know what urged me to do it but I combed my fingers through my hair as I was towel drying it. Then there it was! 


Although you don't see too much hair, this is really not the normal amount of hair that falls off your head after you shower (using just one hand and focusing on a small area), right? Certainly not for me. I repeated the action a few more times just to make sure I wasn't over-reacting, but I got the same result each time. This was it. The moment I had been anticipating. Not totally dreading, but I admit, I was really nervous about it and was worried about how I might react. How is it that I was debating with myself about whether to shave my hair off or not, and in just a few hours, I got my answer? I swear, God has been so faithful. He continues to watch over me. Why else was my dilemma solved so quickly? 

We were going to have dinner at my SIL's house, it was past 6pm by the time I called N's attention. So I told him, let's just go somewhere --- anywhere! A salon, a barber, whatever. I didn't need an expensive senior hair stylist to do it. I wanted it done pronto. We told the kids to prepare them and it went well because they knew this day was going to come. 

I ended up going to a small salon close to my SIL's house somewhere in the Scout Area. The guy (errr, gay guy) who did the honors happened to know right off the bat that I was having my hair shaved off because of chemo. He said his SIL had the same experience and he was the one who did this very same thing to her hair. He was nonchalant about it, not overly-cautious to the point of being OA. Bravo! That's exactly how I wanted him to act. Parang wala lang.

And how did I do while he was busy doing his job? 







My face was distorted in the 3rd photo, not because I wanted to cry about all the hair I lost. I couldn't believe how much grey hair I had hahaha!!! Kainis! 

He really did a great job. He was thorough and clean. He even fixed the back part so it wouldn't look so kalat. See? And do you see my puyo? Parang I have two haha! You know what they say about people who have two of these, right? :p



Here's my brave family taking it all in stride. I am so proud of them! 

So yeah, no more blow drying and using my trusty Rowenta hair iron from now on until my hair grows back. I'm hoping I get the same, if not, better hair! 

P.S. Do you agree that I can do without a head scarf for now? That's what everyone in the salon said.


20 comments:

  1. I love the part of the story that you ended up in that man's hands, literally. That is God being with you on your journey right there. You're doing the right thing, kumz, letting it all flow where it's supposed to go... Take care and keep on with the open heart and mind. :) And on the matter of having short hair: it's the best thing for keeping cool. You may need to cover up, though, not for vanity's sake, but because--alam mo na: at our age, we mustn't let the cold in too much. ;) TAKE CARE! Love you always! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, Patty, you look great! Very edgy and cool -- you are really rocking that look! Very few women can look good with a shaved head, but you totally pull it off. (I on the other hand would probably look like an alien. haha.) Once again, your courage and positive attitude are a true inspiration. Stay strong! You're always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I should've stressed on that, too right? I could've gone elsewhere, like near my house. But it happened at a time that we were headed in that direction. So yes, I totally agree with you. God's hand held me and pulled me there :) I love ya too always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Chinie! I'm still staring at the shape of my head up to now. I'm so aliw :D Now to buy chunky earrings and learn to do the smokey eye! Thank you no end for praying for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not kidding, you really have a nice head, I'm kinda inggit! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! How can you be inggit? Have you ever seen your head? Pray you don't have to ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will. But what I meant was that I have a big head and forehead so I envy your head proportions. Is that super weird? hahaha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. WITH CHINIE'S KIND PERMISSION AM REPOSTING HER COMMENT THANKS CHINIE!

    Ha ha ha ha......exactly my sentiments Patty!!! Super like!!!:) - Tita Nina


    chiniehdiaz • 2 hours ago

    Oh wow, Patty, you look great! Very edgy and cool -- you are really rocking that look! Very few women can look good with a shaved head, but you totally pull it off. (I on the other hand would probably look like an alien. haha.) Once again, your courage and positive attitude are a true inspiration. Stay strong! You're always in my prayers. -

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I thought I was a conehead all this time seriously! But I was wrong, so you never know :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. yey. it's bagay, Pattyburgs! at least you look so hip ;). mwah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I admire your courage and positive attitude. You are always in my prayers. Continue to be an inspiration to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I only get emotional because, little did I know that, someday, besides me, another girl would look like you because she's going through the same thing I did. I am proud of you Patty! I am sure your Dad is even prouder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...and now we look the same! Suits you, ate!

    ReplyDelete