Friday, November 9, 2012

Pre-Chemo Check


It's SOP to have your blood tested before every chemotherapy session. I had my blood extracted yesterday and took the results to my Oncologist this afternoon. 

As expected, my WBC (white blood cell) count was below the normal range. Chemo really does that. However, my Onco says she doesn't see the need to pump me with meds to raise the level to normal. Mainly because she believes my body can recover naturally, largely due to my outlook. It's always good to hear your doctor tell you that you're on the right track. Basically, we both agree that the mind is an extremely powerful tool. You gravitate towards your thoughts, you almost always do!

Like in the past, I left her clinic feeling even more positive than when I arrived. I needed that "push" because Thursday wasn't a very good day and today also didn't start out quite well (a bit of a hair loss issue). As if her words still weren't enough, she told me about the patient who was in line after me. The man was in his 70s, he didn't look like he had cancer at all. Except for the fact that he had a slow walk with the aid of a cane, every other inch of him looked normal. I was shocked when Dra. Marina told me that this man had been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer (I forget what kind) and was told he didn't have too long to live because the cancer had spread to his brain --- this was THREE YEARS AGO. 

Really inspiring.

So again, the Lord delivers. I had been ranting the entire morning about "things" and he gave me something to smile and be thankful about. I don't know if this was a delayed reaction or a mood swing (I'm menopausing, remember?). Whatever it was, it was gone the minute I left the doctor's clinic. 

Oh ... and because I had hair loss issues today, I decided to wear one of two scarves that one of my bestfriends gave me


I really wish I had asked her to buy a few more pieces. This scarf is especially made for the head so it's really a no-fuss piece. If there is anyone out there who can recommend a local seller of chemotherapy head gear, please leave a comment!

Happy weekend to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment