Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fatigue After Chemo


If you think you're in the clear once chemotherapy sessions are over, think again. Atleast that's what I keep telling myself lately. I obviously wasn't ready for what was to happen after chemo. I thought all I needed was a week (tops) to recover ... just like in the past. It's been over 2 weeks since my last cycle and I can tell my body isn't back to normal.

I feel so much better today, there are no more side effects to deal with (i.e. metallic taste, consistent body pain) but I have a long way to go to feeling 100% normal again.

The other day, I was bored so I tried to look for a Zumba (beginners) video on YouTube. I found one, tried it and BOY! After less than 2 minutes, I couldn't go any longer. I felt like I'd been dancing for half an hour. That's how I know I'm not normal yet. Also last Friday, I went out to support my eldest daughter at a dance competition and was away from home for a total of 8 hours. Didn't do much except sit down and watch but the next day, I was so tired I slept for the most part of the day.

One thing's for sure ... I can't go back to full time work. Not just yet. I've been toying around with the idea of doing so, but I need more time to recover. Otherwise, I'd be going on sick leave so often until my boss decides to kick me out. 

It's Sunday today, I'm still on rest mode after that long day I had last Friday. Just as well because the little girl was down with a cough and fever yesterday and needs to rest as well. 

Here's a helpful article I found on how to deal with fatigue after chemo treatments:
http://www.ccsb.org/upload/Image/Thrivership/fatigue_after_chemo.pdf

Happy Sunday to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment