Friday, October 19, 2012

My Chemotherapy Treatment Plan


Different cancer patients get different treatments based on their actual condition. So far in all the talks I've had with my doctors, especially my Oncologist, I've learned that treatments are somewhat customized. The doctor will have to take a look at all your records, even your medical history, in coming up with the kind of treatment that's suitable for you.

The first time I ever sat down with my Oncologist, she already mapped out my Treatment Plan for me.

In my case, I need 6 cycles of chemotherapy and NO RADIATION. I stressed on the latter because it's a blessing that I don't need it! The 6 cycles will last for 18 weeks because the cycles need to be 3 weeks apart. I start on October 23rd so after looking at my calendar, I've already marked the week when my last treatment will take place and that will be on the last week of February 2013. I consider this to be another blessing. Why? Anissa celebrates her 17th birthday end of March, Mom will turn 63 on the first week of April, Sabine will be 7 years old on April 18th. I'll be well enough and back to my normal self by the time all these milestones are going to happen. I'm already excited just thinking about it! 

But wait ... going back. I asked my Oncologist to explain to me what exactly will happen in each cycle. Will each session be different? What medicines are going to be used? What are the common side effects? How long will each session take? How many family members are allowed to keep me company? Etcetera ... etcetera ... etcetera

First things first ... WHAT MEDICINES WILL BE USED? Again, just to clarify : this is for me. It may be different for the next person, even if that person also has breast cancer. 

The first 3 cycles : FEC - a combination of 3 medicines. F stands for Fluorouracil, E stands for Epirubicin and C stands for Cyclophosphamide.

The last 3 cycles : Taxotere 

# 2 WHAT ARE THE COMMON SIDE EFFECTS?

Hair Loss - yes, my Onco says it WILL happen to me. Some people have told me it's also possible that I won't lose my hair. But I'm prepared, my Onco was honest with me from the beginning. If for some reason she's wrong, I'll treat that as a wonderful bonus. 

Nausea - she prescribed an anti-nausea patch called Sancuso. It's quite expensive at around Php 3,000+ a piece but she highly-recommends it. To be totally honest, this is the part I'm dreading. It's the main reason I quit drinking many many years ago. My tolerance for alcohol is really low and I used to throw up a lot after coming home from parties and gatherings. I absolutely hated the feeling each time. I'm really hoping this expensive patch does its magic!

Fatigue - they say it's going to feel like you have the flu minus the fever, so it'll keep you in bed

Mouth sores - one of my Onco's ex-patients (5 1/2 yrs since diagnosed) told me she had these. Yikes.

Taste changes - many have told me to keep on eating even if walang gana or even if the food doesn't taste good. You can always ask your Oncologist how to cope with this. I know I will.

Bladder irritation and diarrhea - need I say more?

Some other side effects but are less common would be : skin changes (rash, itchiness), sun sensitivity, nail changes (dark or white lines on the nail beds). 

#3 HOW LONG WILL EACH SESSION TAKE? 

Mine will take 2 hours each time. I asked my surgeon if I would be exposed to other chemo patients. I'm afraid that seeing those who are really weak and sick-looking might affect my disposition and I don't want this to happen. I'm also a real softie when it comes to these things. She assured me that I'll have my privacy. Each patient does. There's an enclosed cubicle for each patient, with a La-z boy and an extra chair for a companion plus a TV. I can do whatever I want. Read a book, eat, sleep, listen to music. It's all going to be comfortable according to her. 

#4 HOW MANY FAMILY MEMBERS ARE ALLOWED TO ACCOMPANY ME?

One inside the cubicle. If there's more than one with you, the others will have to stay outside. I think there's a waiting area within the Chemo Unit of The Medical City. I don't plan on bringing an entire baranggay of family members with me. Please don't do this either. You might jeopardize the health of other patients getting their chemo treatments by exposing them to so many germs.

#5 WHEN IS MY HAIR GOING TO START FALLING OFF?

Usually 2 weeks after chemo starts. That means I'll be baldy by the time I turn 44 on November 17th. Wow, it's gonna be one memorable birthday!

These are the things I've asked about so far. Oh ... of course, I also asked about the costs earlier on. I know how much each session will cost me. The first 3 will cost the same, the last 3 will be a lot higher GULP. I'm not too comfortable about stating the figures here. If anyone wishes to know, feel free to email me at graceandanatomy@gmail.com and I'll get back to you.

Also, please remember that each time the doctor tells you that you need to go through something, take a specific kind of medicine or whatever it is ... it is your right to ask questions if you don't understand. I don't really care if any of my doctors think I'm makulit. Hello?? I'm not a doctor, I need to be educated. Plus of course, it's my body and I have to know every little thing that goes in it and what it's for. If your doctor doesn't have the patience to answer all of your questions --- whether he/she thinks they're valid or not --- please do yourself a favor and look for another one. You really don't need the added stress. Your doctor needs to be your friend and ally, not someone you feel uncomfortable talking to. 

There you have it, my treatment plan. My wellness plan, if you wanna call it that. I think I'm starting to lose some of that anxiety I've been feeling. I just really want to get things started and over with. I hope you all stick around to see me fly through this! 

P.S.
Such wrong timing but Sabine developed a fever earlier tonight. She also has a cough and a cold and says her throat is slightly "ouchy". Not now?!?!  So I texted my Onco and asked her what I should do. She said the following : 

Gargle with Bactidol 2x a day (you and your daughter)
Have your daughter's pediatrician determine if she needs to be on antibiotics
Stay in a separate room whenever you can
If she has to be with you, make her wear a mask (change every 4 hrs)
Disinfect all door knobs and common areas religiously

I asked her if she thinks I should leave the house and camp out at my Mom's. Her reply was "huwag naman!". Whew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment