Monday, October 15, 2012

Break's Almost Over



I checked out of the hospital after my surgeries (skin sparing mastectomy and reconstructive tram flap surgery PLUS a tummy tuck) on September 17th. CRAP. It's been a month and I hardly felt it! After my confinement, I religiously went on my follow-up check ups and got the chance to finally choose and meet my Oncologist, Dr. Marina Chua-Tan. The day I met her, I spent about 45 minutes in her clinic, asking her all sorts of questions about nutrition, chemotherapy, whatever I could think of. She wrote up some lab test requests and asked me to return to her office on October 16th with all of the test results. I left her clinic happily that afternoon, because I was really looking forward to taking it easy.

Taking it easy meant no poking, no prodding, no tests, no injections, no extractions ... AAAAAHHHHHHH I could smell temporary freedom and I was only too happy to take advantage!

I haven't done much since then. Left the house only a few times and only when I had to. Most of these past few weeks were spent at home. I really wanted to recover from all the surgical procedures I had. (I don't know if I've mentioned this in any of my previous entries but I have a total of FIVE wounds : mastectomy, reconstructive surgery, sentinel nodes dissection, tummy tuck, hernia --- yes, my doctors discovered I had hernia during the surgery and they repaired it right there!)

I still feel sore sometimes, my doctors say it's normal. But there's been remarkable improvement from the time I got home after the surgeries. In fact, last Saturday I attended Sabine's Grade One Family Day in school and joined the mother-daughter game. Yay! (Exhausted when I got home though)

Going back to my original point ... my short vacation is almost over. I'm going back to my doctors tomorrow. I'll be showing my Oncologist all of my lab test results (which are all good so far --- THANK GOD) and we'll be seriously discussing chemo which starts on the 23rd. Yes, I still feel apprehensive about it. I've been praying really hard. To be specific, I've been asking the Lord for physical and not just emotional strength this time. He has granted me one miracle after another, I am so psyched and sure that He won't fail me now. 

So yeah, I'm gonna have to say goodbye to lazy, steady days real soon and say hello to the 2nd leg of this journey. I'm not too excited but I also can't wait to start crossing out dates on my calendar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment