Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Make That Change : Saying goodbye to certain types of food



There's been so much talk about what a cancer patient can and can't eat. People have offered their opinions and thoughts to me on this. While I appreciate all the suggestions and have manually written down a lot of them for future reference, I will have to prioritize the opinions and suggestions of my doctors with regard to nutrition.

As far as they're concerned (especially my Oncologist), the only things I should permanently stay away from starting now are :

Fastfood
Preservatives 
Processed Food

So from now on (unless it's absolutely unavoidable), no more 

McDonald's
Jollibee
Greenwich
Taco Bell
Chow King

and the like. Not a huge burger fan so that's not a biggie.

Come to think of it, you don't really have to have cancer to avoid eating fast food. We all know it's unhealthy right? I just have a serious reason for avoiding it completely from now on. I wish I could influence my entire family to do the same, especially my children. But that doesn't sound very realistic. At the very least, I hope they get to see the value of what I'm doing and realize the importance of eating healthy. Maybe Anissa, at 16 years old, is in a better position to see it from my point of view. But Sabine? 6 years old? Good luck to me haha! 

More than fast food though ... it's the letting go of processed food that bummed me out. I'm not even a breakfast person, but when I think about not eating Beef Tapa, Longganisa, Hotdog, Tocino from now on, I kinda feel sad about it. I'm so weird. :)

What does my Oncologist think about all other types of food? 
As long as I take everything in moderation, no biggie. 
As long as I'm conscious about what I eat, no biggie. 

What does "conscious" mean? It means taking the fat off a steak, taking the skin off a piece of chicken, not re-using my cooking oil at home. Things like this. And again, this doesn't just apply to me as a cancer patient. Do it if you can, even if you're not sick!

I asked her if it's true that I should completely stay away from sugar and she replied, 
"How can anybody do that???" Her take on this is quite simple. You certainly don't have dessert for breakfast, lunch or dinner right? As long as you take it IN MODERATION, you're fine. Sometimes, doing away with sugar and using sweeteners is even more dangerous. She told me that I'm better off adding brown sugar than a sweetener to my coffee.

I thank my doctors for all the learnings. There will be more to share as I travel along!

No comments:

Post a Comment